Merriworth Wines believes the responsible collection and use of personal information is fundamental to developing a business based on enduring relationships with its customers, suppliers, and staff. “Personal information” is defined as information or an opinion through which an individual’s identity is apparent or can be reasonably ascertained.
Merriworth Wines is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000. Merriworth Wines is committed to respecting the individual’s right to privacy and has developed honest, transparent protocols to ensure personal information is handled appropriately.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
Information is only collected if it is required for one or more of Merriworth Wines functions. It is collected by fair and lawful means and not in an intrusive way.
Merriworth Wines collects information directly from the individual and will take reasonable steps to inform the individual that the collection has occurred, why the collection occurred and how the information may be accessed.
By joining our mailing list or Wine Club you are giving your consent to be contacted by us for an indefinite period. We may contact you by email, direct mail, telephone, SMS, MMS, social media or telemarketing. You may of course opt out from our wine club at any time by simply calling or emailing us.
Merriworth Wines does not collect any personal information about an individual when the website is visited unless the user chooses to provide such information. The information received depends upon what the user does when visiting the site.
Site Visit Data – the following is recorded and collected for statistical purposes:-
- The server address of the visitor
- The name of the top-level domain from which the internet was accessed
- The date and time of the visit to the website
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded
- The recording of such information enables us to identify the areas of the site that are most popular and to tailor the site accordingly.
Links – the website contains links to other sites. Merriworth Wines is not responsible for the content and privacy practices of other web sites.
How we protect your data
Merriworth Wines protects against misuse; loss; unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of personal information by:
- Requiring all employees to observe confidentiality protocols
- Controlling access to the premises and paper-based systems
- Adopting measures to secure the computer network used for storing, processing and transmitting personal information
- Protecting communications via data transmission from interception eg: email and unauthorised access to the computer network.
Personal information is retained only for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which information was collected or as required by law. Once used for the intended purpose paper documents containing personal information are shredded.